Bound for the Forest
Author: Kay Berrisford
Publisher: Loose ID
Purchase: Loose ID
ISBN: 978-1-61118-553-9
Rating: 4 of 5 kinks
What is it about M/M erotic romances that seems to fascinate a good size portion of the female population? I'm not certain, but I'm definitely included in that portion. When I received the chance to read and review Bound for the Forest by Kay Berrisford, I was excited but also a little wary because while I enjoy fantasy, I'm not so into historical stories. I am pleased to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.
In Bound for the Forest, Melmoth Brien is considered a protector of the magical beings in Greenwood forest, as was his father before him. However, he believes it all to be hogwash and has turned his back on it. When he returns to get the few personal belongings from his childhood home centered in the forest, he begins to learn that perhaps things aren't as he has always believed.
Scarlet was found in the forest as a baby and was raised by the forest beings. He is tied to them in ways that some, even him, do not fully understand. When Brien arrives, Scarlet is torn between the beliefs he's been taught throughout his life, and the pull of his heart toward the man he sees as a traitor.
Early on, I was bewildered by some of the terms being tossed back and forth, even to the point that I was already thinking that my review might score this story a bit on the low side, but I persisted and I am SO glad that I did. As the story progressed, the meanings and significance of those phrases became apparent and the story settled into a flow as relaxing and smooth as my grandmother's rocking chair.... well, until some of the really hot scenes... maybe I shouldn't have mentioned my grandmother.
For this to be Ms Berrisford's first published novel, I must applaud her. This story drew me into her world which was drawn amazingly well. The descriptions helped me feel the magic that flowed through the forest. The characters were intriguing and, in turns, lovely and frustrating. While there are several fantastically hot and creative sex scenes, with the BDSM elements fitting in seamlessly, this story truly is a romance between the two main characters.
Having said all that, I must, as usual, give a few drawbacks that I found. One was that it did take a bit longer than I would have liked to get really into the story. I wish I could tell you how long it took, how far in, etc... but honestly I just happened to realize that I really didn't want to put it down anymore. Instead, I really wanted to keep reading and see how the story progressed.
There were also a few editing issues. The funniest, to me, was a door that seemed to be knocked down or opened several times without being re-hung or closed. Those issues seemed to clear up further into the book, or perhaps I was too absorbed in the story to pay attention at that point.
Lastly, I wished sometimes that Scarlet was more masculine. I feel one of the draws for M/M erotic romance is two strong, virile males together and willing to admit, regardless of society's expectations, to loving each other. There were times in the story that I even forgot that Scarlet was actually male.
The issue I expected to have, the historical portion, turned out not to be an issue at all because once you were in the world of the forest, time seemed to vanish.
Bound for the Forest is a book that I will keep on my shelf to perhaps be read again now and then. I am not sure the magic of the story will still be enthralling after multiple readings. However, I'm glad that I took the chance to read it. Regardless of the issues I had, overall the story is wonderful and a great escape for a day or two, depending on how fast you read. I highly recommend giving it a read, and I am looking forward to the stories that come from Ms Berrisford in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment